About the CIPD
The CIPD is the world’s largest chartered institute for HR and people professionals. We have a community of 150,000 people worldwide – many of whom have completed our industry-leading qualifications. As a professional body and charity, our purpose is to champion better work and working lives by improving practices in people and organisation development, for the benefit of individuals, businesses, economies and society.
We believe that as well as creating value for organisations and economies, work can and should benefit individuals and society at large too. Work must do more than meet our basic financial needs - it should give us meaning, purpose and contribute to our overall well-being.
The HR and L&D professions hold the key to unlocking that sweet spot. Good people management and development are not only good for the financial performance of a given business, but also for the well-being of its workforce and for the long-term prosperity of the economies and societies in which we all work.
The CIPD and ISBL Partnership
The Chartered Institute for Personnel Development (CIPD) has worked in partnership with ISBL to create a qualification especially for school business professionals with responsibility for HR and people development. We recognise that the education environment is unique and therefore this programme will be contextualised to your sector. In the classroom the tutor will encourage discussion about key themes and how this translates to the school setting. The ISBL commissioned this new qualification in recognition that many school business professionals manage diverse and often complex people-related issues. These can include anything from dealing with poor performance to recruiting, developing and retaining great staff.
Who is the programme for?
It is ideal for people who are recognised as the HR professional within their school or someone whose responsibilities include managing and advising on people-related matters. This level 5 qualification will enable you to develop and implement people plans to help your school meet its operational and strategic goals.
What does it include?
This qualification includes a range of subjects to give you a comprehensive grounding in HR practice. It provides knowledge and practical skills in:
- understanding business issues and how they influence HR decision-making
- employment law and its application to issues such as grievances, dismissals and advising colleagues on maternity/ paternity leave and retirement
- researching data and insights about HR and applying it to your school
- resourcing and talent planning to review and plan recruitment, ensuring your school employs and retains sufficient numbers of skilled staff
- reward management when working for a publicly funded organisation
- developing yourself to understand the benefits of effective HR practice in schools.
The modules have been specially contextualised to recognise the uniqueness of the educational environment. In the classroom, the tutor will encourage discussion about key themes and how this translates to the school setting.
Benefits of the Certificate
- Widely recognised by employers in the HR industry, this qualification will help you build an HR specialism within the education sector and beyond.
- You will become a CIPD Professional Member and can use official designatory letters after your name, for example Joe Bloggs, Assoc. CIPD.
- You will also be able to apply to become a Chartered Member as you grow your HR experience.
- Your employer can have confidence that they are receiving advice and guidance from a trusted, expert adviser – ensuring that the right people decisions are made for your staff and the school.