CIPD Level 5 Associate Diploma in People Management for School Business Professionals
The newly launched CIPD Level 5 Associate Diploma in People Management is an ideal way to help broaden the knowledge and extend the HR and people management skills of school business professionals.
This new programme replaces the CIPD Level 5 Intermediate Certificate in Human Resource Management for new ISBL learners for enrolments from May 2021 onwards.
As well as providing a recognised professional qualification, the programme helps to acquire a wide range of relevant, practical skills that can be applied in your school. The programme enables learners to:
- maintain and develop the effectiveness and efficiency of the operations for which they are responsible
- underpin and develop their knowledge of key aspects of their roles allowing them to add value to their organisation
- substantiate their experience and provide professional assurance with an accredited qualification.
What will you study?
The Diploma is made up 7 units. You will complete all of the core units:
- Organisational Performance and Culture in Practice
- Evidence-based Practice
- Professional Behaviours and Valuing People
- Employment Relationship Management
- Talent Management and Workforce Planning
- Reward for Performance and Contribution
Plus, a choice of one of the following optional units:
- Specialist Employment Law
- Advances in Digital Learning and Development
- Well-being at Work
The units can be completed in any order on the open course. However, we have three dedicated intakes, which are education contextualised, starting each year.
All of these units map to the ISBL Professional Standards HR discipline, which focuses on school business professionals undertaking this activity for their school to ensure regulatory and legal compliance of the management and development of school staff to deliver the school’s/trust’s strategic priorities in line with its vision.
ISBL recognises the importance of the people strategy implemented and its correlation to the success of a school and its attraction, retention and development of staff.
"I now feel far more confident when advising on HR matters. The qualification has enabled me to improve the HR support I can give my Trust."
Read more about Lesley Burton's experience of the CIPD Programme here.
How long is the programme?
This Diploma programme is approximately 12 months in length.
Each module takes around 5-6 weeks when studied via live online delivery.
Who will be on my cohort with me?
We run a cohort of the Level 5 Diploma on a rolling basis. Each term, a new intake of SBPs joins the existing cohort and everyone starts the next unit together.
It is important to remember that the units have been designed to be completed in any order.
The benefits of this approach are:
- Flexibility – we are able to offer multiple start dates for this programme throughout the year.
- Networking – it allows you to network with a wider range of SBPs as they join the cohort.
- Support – you can gain insights and receive guidance from the other SBPs on the programme who have already completed some of the units.
When can I join the programme?
We offer termly start dates for this programme.
Upcoming start dates are listed below. You can also view an draft timetable.
- Intake 1 – Week Commencing 28th June 2021
- Intake 2 – Week Commencing 11th October 2021 (draft timetable)
- Intake 3 – Week Commencing 31st January 2022 (draft timetable)
We do require a minimum number of SBPs to book onto each intake to ensure that the programme can run as a dedicated contextualised programme for school business professionals.
How is the programme delivered?
The six Core units are delivered via Live Online, which includes live, interactive webinar sessions delivered by an MOL’s industry expert tutor. The core units have been contextualised especially for SBPs and the education sector.
You don’t need to worry about an emergency occurring in school (e.g. Ofsted visit) that means you miss a live online session. All live sessions are recorded to enable you to access them on demand and you will also have access to all of the relevant on demand resources for each unit, should you need to.
The optional units are delivered either live online or on-demand. You will need to choose one of the three optional units to complete. You can then choose whether you complete it online on-demand or whether you join an Open cohort* for this unit (live online).
*An open cohort is made up of learners from a variety of different sectors and backgrounds. Joining an open cohort is a great way of learning how other HR professionals do things in their sector / organisations.
How is the programme assessed?
All units are assessed via essay-based assignment. These assignments are usually 2,000–4,000 words in length, depending on the module.
What are the benefits of completing the programme?
The CIPD Level 5 Associate Diploma in People Management for School Business Professionals is designed to:
- Expand knowledge in key HR and people management areas and allow you to substantiate your experience with a qualification.
- Allow for your schools’ context to be considered as part of the assignments to ensure that the programme provides practical benefits to both you and your school. This is implemented within MOL’s delivery method and design.
- Develop knowledge and offer you an opportunity to stand out from your peers.
- Provide confidence and assurance in your knowledge and skills.
- Provide a gateway to CIPD Associate status.
What support will I receive on this programme?
MOL’s dedicated Customer Experience Team will be in contact prior to the start of the programme to outline how the programme will run and to deal with any queries or concerns you may have at the outset. When your studies commence, they will also proactively contact you to make sure that you are OK, that the course is going well and to gather feedback on your experience of studying with MOL.
Whilst studying the Level 5 Diploma, you will attend regular, live webinar sessions offering the opportunity to interact with your tutor and peers. The sessions are designed to be vibrant and engaging and will include elements such as group and paired work, discussion topics, Q&As and interactive polls whilst looking at areas of the CIPD syllabus.
MOL’s expert tutors are also available to support you whenever you need them. The tutors do not just provide information and advice within the live online, interactive sessions; they are on hand when you need them to provide dedicated support and feedback to guide you in your learning.
Do I need any HR experience to complete this programme?
The programme is aimed at learners who may already be working in an HR role and are looking to expand their experience and knowledge. For individuals who already hold a CIPD Level 3 or are perhaps educated to degree level, CIPD Level 5 is also a natural progression step.
How is the programme funded?
The programme is either paid for directly by your school/trust or it can be self-funded. It is separate from the apprenticeship scheme and unfortunately is not eligible for apprenticeship funding.
How much does it cost?
There is an ISBL member rate and a non-member rate for all our training programmes.
- ISBL member rate: £2,450 + VAT
- Non-member rate: £2,750 + VAT
One of the benefits of being an ISBL member is being able to access the member rates for training and conferences. If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining ISBL here.
To be able to access the ISBL member rate, your membership needs to be active before you book your place on the programme.
We do not offer any payment plans. The full cost must be paid in full before you start the programme. Our Terms & Conditions can be found here.
How can I book my place?
To view dates of the next intake and to book you place, visit our Training Calendar.
Click here for more information about the programme.