Using ICFP accurately and effectively in your school (Part 1 and Part 2)
ICFP stands for Integrated Curriculum Financial Planning. It helps a school use resources as effectively and efficiently as possible. It does so by systematically analysing all aspects of the educational provision within a school setting to ensure that financial management planning ensures an appropriate balance in the allocation and expenditure of resources
There are two separate online training sessions to help you deepen your ICFP knowledge and use it in your school.
- Using ICFP accurately and effectively in your school (Part 1: Data and Metrics)
- Using ICFP accurately and effectively in your school (Part 2: Diagnosis of Issues and Strategic Decision-making)
Our ICFP training uses the ISBL Approach to ICFP. You can read more about this here.
These sessions are aimed at intermediate level.
What will I learn?
Session 1. Using ICFP accurately and effectively in your school (Part 1: Data and Metrics)
This online training session will help you to:
- Review the importance of ICFP in ensuring efficient resource use in schools.
- Understand how correct data lays the foundation for calculating and analysing metrics, interpreting them to make recommendations to inform strategic decision-making.
- Understand the need for balance in resource use and the consequences of imbalance.
- How to make sure the metric calculations are based on accurate data for all metric types: balances, staffing and non-staffing.
- Understand and be confident in which metrics are essential to use, and why, to assist strategic decision-making.
- Understand how and why to use benchmarking and threshold.
- Recognise the benefits of using tools to facilitate your calculation and use of metrics.
Session 2. Using ICFP accurately and effectively in your school (Part 2: Diagnosis of Issues and Strategic Decision-making)
This online training session will help you to:
- Understand the need for a narrowed down, usable core of standard ICFP metrics that are straightforward to use.
- Know how to accurately generate data for, and consistently calculate, these metric values.
- Understand how to use threshold values to analyse the metric values to identify potential issues in the school’s resource use.
- Understand how to use threshold values and benchmarks to quantify the seriousness of resource use issues to guide strategic decision-making.
- Understand how context is key to your interpretation: choices and decisions.
- How to be confident in the interpretation of your data using metrics as an evidence base when starting a conversation with SLT and other school leaders.
- How to work with other school leaders to explain the risks and opportunities in order to find solutions that work and make strategic decisions.
How are these sessions delivered?
Both of these training sessions are delivered online using our WebEx platform. You will receive joining instructions a few days in advance.
How long are each of the sessions?
They are 3 hrs in duration, including a short break and time to complete activities.
What is included?
- Both training sessions include Post webinar activities to help you cement your learning. Together with the short pre-work activities, they are aimed at helping you to make the most of the sessions. They are not mandatory, although we recommend that you complete them.
- Real examples of ICFP use in Primary, Secondary and Special schools
- Insights from the trainer’s experience of being a School Resource Management Adviser (SRMA) working across multiple schools, multi-academy trusts and LAs
Do I need to complete both training sessions?
What ICFP training you require will depend on your knowledge and experience of ICFP to-date. You do not have to complete both sessions. However, we recommend that you complete Part 1 before Part 2 in order to progress in your knowledge and understanding.
If you are new to ICFP, we recommend that you attend the ICFP Fundamentals webinar to gain an understanding of the principles of ICFP and how it can be used.
Who is the training for?
We recognise that the school business profession is made up of individuals from a range of backgrounds, school settings, personal knowledge and indeed exposure to ICFP. This training is aimed at intermediate level.
If you are looking to deepen your understanding of ICFP and how to use it in your school, then these two sessions are for you.
Is the ISBL School Optimisation Tool (ISOT) included in this training?
A license for the ISOT is not included in this training. You can find out more about the ISOT and how to purchase it separately here.
This training will reference how ICFP tools can be used to help you calculate the metrics but does not specifically include training on how to use any one specific ICFP tool or software.
Can this training be delivered to my local or regional group?
Yes, we can arrange for this training to be delivered to your local or regional network group. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on what we can offer.
How much does it cost?
There is an ISBL member rate and a Non member rate for all our training courses.
- ISBL member rate: £75.00 +VAT
- Non member rate: £95.00 +VAT
One of the benefits of being an ISBL member is being able to access the member rates for training and conferences. If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining ISBL here.
To be able to access the ISBL member rate, your membership needs to be active before you book your place on the course.
How can I book my place?
Visit our Training Calendar to see when the next available training course is.
These sessions are offered separately. If you wish to complete Part 1 and Part 2, you will need to book a place on each session.