Business Manager and Clerk to the Governors
David Nieper Academy, Grange Street, Alfreton, Derbyshire, DE55 7JA
Age Range – 11-18
Full time position
Responsible to Headteacher
Start: February 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter
Salary: 42-45 (£36,932 - £40,201) depending on experience
The David Nieper Academy is a newly formed Academy in Alfreton. A new school building opened in February 2017 therefore this is an immensely exciting time to be joining the academy and being a key component in the development of the new academy.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint an experienced Business Manager. It is vital to the long term future success of the academy that high quality business management is at the forefront of our endeavours.
The successful candidate must be able to lead and work well as part of a team, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, have a ‘can-do’ attitude, be highly organised and have the ability to work under pressure.
The Governing Body is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people so all staff appointments are subject to employment checks and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Job description – Business Manager and Clerk to the Governors
As Business Manager and Clerk to the Governors you will:
- Report directly to the Headteacher on day-to-day administration matters, budgetary matters and all matters concerning finance, catering, buildings (maintenance, grounds, cleaning, security), logistics, IT and health and safety. He/she assists the Headteacher with the management of the Academy in forward planning and development issues, and advises on financial and legal matters.
- Be responsible for the planning, development and delivery of support functions within the academy
- Be accountable to the Governors and Trustees for the financial and business management of the academy, in accordance with the policies established by the Trustees in consultation with the Headteacher.
- Be the Academy’s Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Act as Clerk to the Local Governing Body and Trustees.
As a member of the David Nieper Academy leadership team you will:
- Think strategically while being able to deal with immediate challenges
- Provide opportunities for staff to grow and develop
- Set a high standard through personal example
- Contribute in a variety of ways to the day to day running of the academy
- Support all academy events
General role responsibilities
- To provide strategic vision and leadership in all areas relating to finance ensuring the academy is in good financial health
- To be responsible for all financial management and administrative systems, ensuring full compliance, and enabling the highest quality teaching and learning to take place
- To be responsible for the strategic leadership and development of ICT ensuring that it supports the highest quality teaching and learning
- To oversee the management of the building contract
- To oversee site management and development
- To advise and support the Headteacher with development opportunities and projects
- To actively seek out and facilitate new business opportunities
- To produce bids and see projects through to their conclusion and evaluation in order to provide additional opportunities, support and income to the academy.
- To contribute to the academy development plan and academy self-evaluation, providing regular reports to governors
- To act as line manager and performance manager for identified members of staff
- To make a full contribution to the wider leadership and management of the academy
- To act as Clerk to the Governors
- To undertake any additional duties or responsibilities as reasonably determined by the Headteacher.
- for line management and performance management
Finance and Operations manager
Premises staff including cleaning staff
- for line management and performance management
Policy and Leadership
a) To develop and oversee effective and efficient systems ensuring the Academy is fully compliant in all aspects of academies financial reporting
b) To produce the Academy budget plan, in line with the Academy vision and aims, as guided by the Headteacher
c) To monitor income and expenditure and provide regular financial statements and interim accounts to the Headteacher and Governing Body
d) To ensure the effective management of financial, administrative and personnel services
e) To keep the Academies financial and accounting systems under review and recommend changes to the Headteacher where appropriate
f) To develop and implement business models for capital and revenue schemes
g) To investigate, devise and oversee infrastructure development initiatives and projects, including the new Academy building, ensuring they are financially viable and maximise the earning potential of the Academy
h) To review the application of Academy aims relating to financial management and all aspects of administration, recommending changes to the Headteacher as necessary.
i) To promote a clear vision about how the Academy can develop further in all areas relating to finance
j) To oversee all matters relating to Human Resources ensuring compliance with employment law, and best practice
k) To generate and interpret relevant finance, personnel, employment and workforce information
l) To lead and manage the IT and related systems across the academy including CCTV, reprographics, telephones and payment systems
l) To contribute to the strategic development of all aspects of the Academy as a member of the Academy Leadership Team, including ensuring the Academy Improvement Plan is financially viable
m) To review and update Academy policies as determined by the Headteacher.
a) To ensure financial records are maintained in line with statutory requirements for academies and are fully compliant with current legislation
b) To ensure a balanced budget is set at the start of each financial year, produce timely and accurate reports, investigate variances, take prompt corrective action, and provide explanations on departures from budget
c) To ensure the Academy has a clear and robust long term financial planning strategy in place
d) To manage income from all sources (ESFA, EHCP, disadvantaged, self-generated etc.)
e) To use the agreed budget to actively monitor and control performance to achieve best value for money
f) To advise the Headteacher and Governing Body on all aspects of strategic financial management and report suspected or uncovered fraudulent activities.
g) To ensure that the Academy financial policies and procedures are consistent with the requirements of the Governing Body, ESFA and auditors and that the Academy is adhering to all statutory financial regulations
h) To liaise effectively with the Academy auditors ensuring the Academy is fully compliant in all financial matters
i) To ensure that best value is secured from the delivery of services, whether by contract or direct labour, and monitor all contracts for the Academy
j) To manage the Academy insurance policies, ensuring adequate cover for pupils, staff and
k) To secure additional income for the Academy through business outreach, the development of community links, and through the submission of bids to external funding sources.
- To be responsible for Compliance across Finance and academy Operations, ensuring that the academy is compliant in all areas, leading appropriate actions, updating policies and procedures and reporting, as appropriate, to the relevant authorities
- To be responsible for academy policies and the renewal of these
- To keep up to date with and implement new Data Protection legislation
a) To advise the Headteacher and Governing Body on all aspects of Human Resources management
b) To ensure robust systems are in place and all staff recruitment and HR issues are managed appropriately
c) To oversee the administration of DfE Work Force census returns
d) To ensure that the Academy human resources policies and procedures are consistent with all statutory requirements
f) To oversee the Academy Appraisal systems for Support Staff and work closely with, and offer advice and guidance to, the Deputy Headteacher with the responsibility for overseeing staff continuing professional development
g) To ensure that the Academy MIS is kept up to date with all staffing changes
j) To implement service agreements as agreed by the Headteacher.
a) To ensure the Academy is fully compliant in all aspects related to safer recruitment
b) To ensure the Single Central Record (SCR) is fully up to date and accurate.
Services and Contracts Management
a) To oversee all contracts and services including ICT, catering, Premises, telephones, reprographics, HR etc. holding providers to account, ensuring best value for money and advising the Headteacher and Governing Body on changes required
b) To oversee all tendering and retendering processes
c) To alert the Headteacher to any breach of contract, fraudulent activity or substandard service from a contractor or other supplier.
a) To ensure the Academy premises and grounds are maintained to the highest standards and that appropriate security measures are in place
b) To investigate opportunities to develop the academy trust, including extending current provision
c) To lead and manage infrastructure developments approved by the Headteacher and
d) To arrange for non-routine maintenance and capital schemes, and for monitoring performance of all premises related contracts.
Health and Safety
a) To oversee all aspects of Academy Health and Safety
b) To ensure that all Academy trips are arranged and conducted in accordance with the Academy Health and safety policies and procedures
c) To keep abreast of changes in legislation, advising the Headteacher and Governing Body accordingly; updating and implementing the Academy health and safety policy and risk assessments, consulting as appropriate
d) Conducting fire risk assessments
e) To liaise with the premises team and other site users to ensure that day to day arrangements are in accordance with health and safety policies and procedures
f) To ensure adequate first aid provision is available at the Academy and that adequate accident records are maintained and acted upon.
Business Outreach and development
a) To maintain and develop effective links with the Academy Business Partners
b) To maximise income for the school through business outreach, the development of community links, and through the submission of bids to external funding sources.
c) Review and enhance our community lettings, actively seeking to bring in additional funding
- Maintain the calendar of meetings
- Act as Secretary to all meetings preparing agendas, coordinating all papers, minute taking
- Coordinate all link governor meetings and activities, ensuring that the relevant reports are submitted and maintained on the Governor Portal
- Maintain the Governors’ Register of Interests
- Keep Governors updated regarding communications and safeguarding
- Coordinate policies for Governor approval
- Oversee Governor induction and training
- To undertake any training courses or in-house training relevant to the post.
a) To be a member of the Leadership Team
b) To line manage key support staff as agreed with the Headteacher
- This job profile is not an exhaustive or final statement and it may be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the post holder. It does not direct the amounts of time to be spent on carrying out the duties listed above.