This is an excellent opportunity for a senior manager at MEI’s Trowbridge office to join an outstanding national organisation playing a central role in improving education for the better.
As a senior manager at MEI’s Trowbridge office your primary role will be to:
Ensure the smooth running of MEI’s office and central support services (IT, facilities, and HR)
Influence, lead and manage operational and organisational improvement in support of MEI’s priorities
Ensure that MEI complies with regulatory/legal requirements and meets external quality standards in relation to quality management, environmental standards and health and safety
Oversee and manage contracts and budgets relating to IT, facilities, goods, and services and undertake other contract work.
Main duties and responsibilities
Core responsibilities are listed below, but you will play a key leadership role and work with managers and senior leaders across MEI to ensure the smooth running of internal services and achieve effective operational improvement and change.
Central support services (‘Central Services’)
- Ensure the smooth, effective, and efficient running of central services including HR, staff IT services and support, and facilities management in liaison with contractual partners where relevant.
- Manage the Central Services Team, supporting co-ordinators/business partners to undertake day-to-day work and to provide an excellent service for MEI staff, trustees and others (e.g. partners, associates) where applicable.
- Oversee the co-ordination of practical arrangements for governance/Board meetings, all-staff meetings/events and recruitment of new trustees.
- Ensure regular review of MEI’s policies/guidance published in the Staff Handbook and Intranet and help develop MEI’s Intranet and SharePoint environment to serve the needs of staff.
Operational and organisational improvement
- Contribute analysis and ideas to inform improvements to MEI’s operations functions and ways of working, translating these into concrete proposals where applicable.
- Occasionally lead developments in smaller areas planning and implementing practical projects to achieve improvement and business benefit.
- Support the planning and implementation of occasional organisational changes e.g. reorganisations, staff structure changes etc. working with the HR Business Partner.
Standards and compliance
- Serve as MEI’s Health and Safety Coordinator and Fire Officer, managing compliance with Health and Safety legislation and procedures including fire and evacuation, first aiders and incident reporting.
- Lead on annual quality management and environmental standards audit/accreditation (ISO 9001 and ISO 14001), liaising with MEI’s internal auditor group, providing leadership on quality management for SLT and others across MEI and updating the quality manual to reflect new policy/practice.
- Oversee the operation of MEI’s Safer Recruitment policy and procedure (DBS and employment checks) for employees, associates and key partners.
- Routinely monitor requirements set out in our main delivery contract(s) relating to safeguarding, IT/technical requirements and data protection in liaison with MEI’s Technical Manager and GDPR and Safeguarding Leads.
IT and office facilities
- Manage contractual relationships with MEI’s main IT service suppliers to ensure a high-quality service and value for money, in liaison with MEI’s Technical Manager.
- Support planning of occasional rollouts of new software/IT systems, providing leadership and working with business leads and project/change managers as applicable to introduce and embed change successfully.
- Oversee the work of MEI’s IT and Facilities Support Co-ordinator in the monitoring and management of technical requests and changes, and facilities support.
- Take lead responsibility for key facilities contracts, including the office lease and relationship with the landlord.
Contracts, procurement, and finance
- Work with colleagues to agree requirements and commission proposals for externally delivered IT services when due for renewal; review and negotiate contracts to ensure value for money.
- Plan, monitor and manage MEI’s IT and facilities budgets in liaison with MEI’s Technical Manager and Head of Finance/Finance Manager.
- Support Finance and AMSP operations teams to secure programme partner contracts (e.g. with university partners)
We are looking for an experienced business/operations manager with the ability to manage and provide leadership across a range of areas. No specialist technical/IT expertise is required for this role, but experience of working with IT/technical teams and partners is desirable.
||Educated to A-level or an equivalent L3 technical/vocational qualification.
||Level 4 business management or a recognised service/project management qualification (e.g. ITIL4; Prince2 practitioner).
||Substantial experience in a business or service management role.
An experienced line-manager with strong skills in supporting and managing people to develop professionally.
Procurement and contract management.
Experience of setting, monitoring and managing budgets.
Operating to legal/regulatory standards and compliance.
|Charity sector or education sector experience.
Experience of introducing IT systems to achieve business goals and operational benefits.
Working with a Board/Board governance.
|Skills and understanding
||Highly organised with strong attention to detail and a desire to drive continuous improvement in the organisation.
Proficiency in using the Microsoft Office 365 suite and working experience of a variety of business admin systems.
Ability to plan, shape and deliver projects and areas of work, and handle issues as they arise to keep progress on track.
A multi-tasker who can use their time efficiently and adapt to new tasks and changing priorities.
Strong skills in written English and experience of drafting organisational policies and guidance and writing reports, papers and other documents with clarity and precision.
|Knowledge of the Education sector.
Knowledge of online events or online learning systems / platforms.
|Attributes and behaviours
||Dynamic, dedicated and enthusiastic.
Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
A confident and calm professional manner.
Very good interpersonal skills and the ability to build trust and strong working relationships.